Yup, I'm pathetic


 

I am so pathetic when it comes to the power of suggestion.

If someone is eating popcorn and watching a movie on TV, I want some.
If someone is eating pizza, all of a sudden I'm hungry for it.

I've been watching far too many movies focused on baking, that's for sure.

Anyway, I think the power of suggestion can be used for better things.

Our Pastor gave a beautiful homily on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Mary's day!) and he made a suggestion that has stuck with me. He said that mistakes are not sins, and although we all make mistakes, we can choose not to sin.

While we may not be perfect, and we have an inclination to sin, that doesn't mean we we are powerless over our choices. Just the thought that we can mindfully, intentionally choose not to sin, has been framing my own thoughts and actions.

This does not mean we have to become obsessive/compulsive, or unforgiving of ourselves, but it means we can get better at identifying sin and choosing against it.

The added benefit is that it gets us in better spiritual shape as we begin to "Prepare the way of the Lord."

Have a blessed Advent.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective