The Swat Club

 

 

 

 

 

I was talking with our son on a snowy day about the need to carry shoes.  It took me back to my youth when I walked to school (about a mile, barefoot, uphill) on snow-covered sidewalks, against blustery winds, carrying a heavy pile of books.

Okay, the story might sound exaggerated, but except for the barefoot/hill part, the rest is true.  Boy, did those books feel heavy after such a long walk.  Sometimes they left a crease in my arm (we didn't have backpacks.)

In my junior high (which I walked to), our teacher had a "swat club."  Whenever she had to leave the room, she would put one of my classmates in charge of writing the names of students who misbehaved on the chalkboard.  Then, when she returned, the offenders were taken out into the hallway to receive a paddling. It helped to make friends with the student in charge so as to keep your name off the board.

Anyway, kids-in-charge often threatened to put names on the board, and honestly, I can't say how often the teacher actually followed through, but the threat seemed real enough, that's for sure.

The truth is, isn't it better to change our behavior out of a desire to be a better person, rather than fear of punishment? For instance, while the threat of hell (which is real) may be enough to change our behavior, wouldn't it be better if we acted out of our love for God, rather than our fear of hell?

Instilling the fear of punishment isn't really a healthy way to manage behavior. It doesn't help us grow in maturity.  It doesn't help us develop relationships built on trust, and, it certainly doesn't always work.

It seems that it would be better to try to just keep our slate clean. The Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) is a great way to do that.  Its purpose is not based on fear, but love. I highly recommend it.

Besides, if I had to guess, I'd like to think that God prefers to be loved rather than feared.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
Follow my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
Check out my YouTube Channel at:
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective