Be kind to yourself

 

 


As I came to the end of the rosary early one morning, I realized that my fingers on the beads didn't match the words I was praying.

In other words, I came to the end of the rosary before I came to the end of my prayers! 

I have no idea what happened (maybe it was too early in the morning!), but I just finished up and moved on.

As we mature in faith, it becomes easier not to be a stickler when such things happen. For instance, if life gets in the way and I simply cannot (or do not) get my quiet prayer time in as I ought, I just move with the Holy Spirit in the moment and resist the temptation to torment myself. I mean, God surely wouldn't condemn me for it, right?

If you find that you berate yourself when you imperfectly carry out your prayers--or whatever it is you do--try to be more forgiving. 

My husband and I often joke because I will say, "I feel guilty" about whatever, and he'll kindly remind me, "There's always something to feel guilty about."

So true. I think we can be harder on ourselves than God is, sometimes.

A priest we know says that God is bigger than we give him credit for being. Do we really think God is so small? Don't we have to factor in God's love and mercy? 

Let's not forget that when we make our best effort, and sometimes come up short, God isn't standing over us, with his arms folded and his foot tapping, pointing his finger at us!

No, he's loving us in our imperfections. He's loving us as we try. He's loving us as we do our best. He's constantly trying to draw us in because he created us and wants us near him.

When we condemn ourselves for our faults and failures, that is not of God. Be a little kinder to yourself today. God knows you need it!

Pray for peace, joy, and an end to war.

Janet Cassidy
Email me at:  jmctm2@gmail.com

janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marie-Antoinette's Journey of Faith

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

The Memorare