A true story;the retelling prompted by Jackie's post below it.

This happened to me 20 years ago, I was with a group of mothers and we were organising fund raising for the secular county primary school our children all attended. This was several years before we became Catholics,but we were still a Christian family and attended a local chapel with Sunday school for the children. It was quite a lively group and that day I had my youngest child ,my daughter aged 2 with me.
One of the "ladies" in fact several of them were given to colourful language, and noticing my discomfort at the effing and blinding one of the group pointed out that we had a young child present and people should watch what they said.
This prompted a few apologies and some bluster which included using the Lords name in vain and I was asked how I felt.Taking a deep breath and thinking Oh well here goes! I quietly thanked them for stopping swearing and added that I actually thought that saying His name as a swear word was worse than effing and blinding and that my children were being taught to avoid all bad language but especially the use of the names of God and his Mother, well you would have thought I had proposed some group sex the way everyone exploded!
I never go out of my way to discuss my faith and beliefs but sometimes one cannot stay silent and then we have to be true to our faith and our conscience.
I remember a prayer I once read ..O forgive me Lord for all my foolish proofs of Thee at which while the audience laughed, the angels wept..
I am inadequate and yet even I must speak up sometimes not for glory or reward but because I must.

Comments

  1. Thanks Marion..glad it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a reputation at work because I do call people on using the Lord's name in vain. I could care less if they want to use the "f" word all day. But don't take God's name lightly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same with the Lord's name. I thumped my next door neighbour for using it constantly. He looked so shocked. I said that that I was cconstantly calling on the name he was blaspheming for help. However, I do swear/cuss myself when angry (not blaphemy, but the odd eff n'jeff). I am trying to stay calm more often, it's a slow learning curve but it is beginning to happen.

    Mindyou, there are times when only a certain word will release my inner stuff.

    Plus, it's better than getting drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are times when we are called upon to lovingly tell the truth even if no one defends is or even agrees with us at the time...it still doesnt change the underlying truth.

    It was right to share that you know it to be wrong to instruct them, even if they were not yet ready to hear the message.

    A few years ago, we were stuck living near some folks...the mom had not raised the teen girls with a very good example and they were in rebellion on top of it. I tried to mind my own business, but I was pulled into their drama more than I wanted to be. I had middle school aged boys and one day the HS aged girl came to my house to retrieve her youngest sister from play wih my daughter...I said something akin to:
    "I need to tell you something and I want to be careful with how I say this because i dont want to de disrespectful but I hope to be clear....you arent wearing enough clothing, the next time you come by, please wear more".

    She went crazy and told everyone up and down the street how horrible I was. It would have been nice to have been "backed up" but I wasnt (even though I was sheepishly told by other that I was right and they didnt have the nerve to say so). I chose to stand by what I said and to do so alone. I have long since lost track of that family and dont ever expect to see them again...I do hope however that the girls had a gnawing reminder in thier minds when they dressed whether or not they might, in fact, be wearing enough clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective