The blessings of a broken toe!

Sorry to have been so quiet, but I'm not long back from holiday in Berlin. And then I went to the loo in the night on Sunday and broke my toe! There is a cabinet in our bathroom which we brought over from Mum's, and it's in the way between the loo and the door. Not ideal, but it's the first time I've gone to the loo without putting a light on! Smack, I kicked it with some force. The pain didn't hit me immediately ~ I didn't even yell, so I just got back into bed, but then it really started to hurt, so I rubbed it, like you do, and the pain was unbearable, and I had this huge wave of nausea. So I turned on the light and had a look to see my toe (the one next to my little toe) was sticking out sideways...so I put it back straight, and heard a horrible click and felt it crunch. That was it then...I hopped back to the loo to be sick, groaning loud enough to wake my husband up who came running in to see what on earth was the matter. It took me a while to stop heaving, by which time Hubby had made me a cup of tea and brought painkillers. I was in no doubt I had broken it. This was confirmed at A&E on Monday morning!

The last couple of days have been odd...I'm not used to this much "down time", and the enforced rest/staying in have made me realise just how much rushing round I normally do! It's been hard for me leaving others in my family to fend for themselves, but I have just had to let go and in doing so have realised that I'm not indispensable.

Sometimes I think God allows things like this to happen to teach us something, or for our own good. That's how it feels for me, anyhow. There are many verses in the Bible which compel us to stop and rest. The antiphon at the beginning of Mass earlier this week was "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." As I accept this invitation of Jesus, I am beginnng to feel more relaxed and generally better in myself.

The lesson I can learn from this is not to wait for a broken toe in order to truly rest and be refreshed. This is an opportune time to examine my daily activity, and to discern what is necessary and what is superfluous, and to carry that knowledge into my life when my toe has healed. It's been a good lesson, and I intend to heed it! Yesterday, I had a "Retreat at Home", undisturbed. It was my date with God, and I was blessed by it!

Posted Image
 Woman Resting by Yulonda Rios

Comments

  1. Ouch! hope its better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the pain is easier and it heals soon.
    Lovely post.
    Blessings and prayers.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective