Lord, I am not worthy to have you under my roof....but only say the word and my soul shall be healed


In the gospel today the Roman centurion makes his confession of faith which forms the wording of our own confession of faith before we receive Holy Communion. This confession of faith demonstrates the unworthiness we all have when approaching the wonderful gift of the Body and Blood of Christ. Standing before this throne of God’s grace we simply confess I am not worthy, never will be, a wretched sinner! I am living only for the grace that my Lord and Saviour gives to me. Despite my unworthiness just say your Word Lord and it will heal me, revive me, thrill me and enable me to be nurtured into a dim shadow, a pale reflection of the glory that is the Christ I receive.  

It is the interior life that allows us to express outwardly our spiritual selves. I make a show to others of my saintliness when I live out the gospel not when I make a show for others of my piety! The spiritual life is not about the show, the face I put on, the mask I use to hide my shortcomings, it is about the acknowledgement of my debt owed to God for his goodness, his care, his love. The outward show will be ridiculed unless I back it up with the show of goodness, compassion and sincerity.

Raise heavenward this poor, unworthy soul
Lord, Saviour heal me, attend to my humble cry
Ever in your debt I receive you, hear my prayer
Save me from my sins may all my pretences die

Fr Patrick Brennan © 2011

Comments

  1. This is a really lovely post Fr Pat..thankyou..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective