"If we only knew how God regards this Sacrifice . . ."

"If we only knew how God regards this Sacrifice, we would risk our lives to be present at a single Mass."
St. Pio of Pietrelcina

Padre Pio Devotions

My friend shared this with me the other day. It may me ashamed that even though I attend Mass daily, sometimes I am there physically but my mind and heart are somewhere else. Instead of thanking God with all my heart for the ultimate sacrifice He made for a sinner like me, I am worried about some trivial matter or I am rehashing past hurts. I often pray to Padre Pio that I could cry when meditating on Jesus' Passion just like he did when he celebrated Holy Mass. I pray that I never take for granted this awesome privilege we have in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Comments

  1. I have ADHD, often times just attending Mass is all that I can manage. I have no control over where my mind will wander. Shoot! Sometimes I have no control on myself physically.

    Over the years, I was bothered by this. How could I participate in the Mass if my mind and my heart were wandering when I'm standing in front of the Altar of our Lord?

    Not always easy. What I've learned though is that, the only thing that I can do is be present. The decision that I made to go to Mass on this day is my fiat. Making my way into the Church and sitting down, before the Altar and the Tabernacle... that is my fiat. All the wayward thoughts? They're prayers that I didn't expect that needed to be said.

    Don't misunderstand, I still try to focus on what is going on and be mentally and spiritually present to the Mass. It just isn't always possible. The way I figure it, God made me this way, and He knows that my mind will wander. All He wants is that I be present, wandering mind and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love St Pio..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective