After Hurricane Sandy, My Children Help Me Keep Going


Yesterday while driving out of the Home Depot parking lot,  I began to tear up. Our 16 year old son's words kept me going.

See, I had checked my facebook before heading into the store. I discovered two CL friends are homeless. The boiler in their apartment building in Manhattan's financial district blew up as Hurricane Sandy plowed through. They are scrambling for a warm place to sleep. (They have temporary lodging in New Jersey).

Then, as we walked into the store, I was puzzled by rows of people sitting in cloth folding chairs by the customer service counter. Some were reading books; one woman was asleep. Why were they sitting there? And then it struck me: they have no heat in their homes thanks to Hurricane Sandy.


Comments

  1. I live on Staten Island Allison, and I feel so blessed to have come out of the storm with the family safe and sound and with no damage to the house. The people who got really hit hard lived near the coast. The only hardship I experienced was 26 hours without power. I wish I could help out in some way, but other than a monetary contribution they don't seem to be asking for physical help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manny: How did St. Rita's fare? There is plenty folks on SI can do to help one another in addiiton to donating money. See this link....

    http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/how_you_can_help_staten_island.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll see if I can help out on the weekend. No damage to St Rita's that I'm aware. Mass went on as usual. The parish is helping with food, clothing, and blanket donations.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective