"In Cold Blood:" Heartache and Violence




 Photo of Holcomb, Kansas courtesy of 


I decided to read Truman Capote's 1966 book  "In Cold Blood" because I have become intrigued by his close friend, Nelle Harper Lee. Lee wrote the luminous novel "To Kill a Mockingbird," which I teach every year to high school freshmen and her character Dill Harris is modeled on her childhood friend, Truman Capote. Lee, now 86 and living a private life in her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama, never has published another book. I wanted to know her better and I figured I might find traces of her in Capote's nonfiction novel.  I haven't researched how much of her fingerprints are on this book of richly drawn characters, real people whose presence has remained with me days after finishing this book.

Keep Reading...

Comments

  1. It's been years and years since I read it. I remember being very impressed with it. It has become a classic and it was revolutionary in its form, that is reality written as fiction. Not too long ago I saw something that they keep finding more and more instances of Capote fudging with the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could very well be, Manny. I did not do a lot of reading about how the book was researched. I did "enjoy" the book and am glad to have read it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective