If I Am the Heart of the Family, Why Was I Not Missed?

I have always heard that the mother is the heart of the family, especially a stay at home mother with a crew of kids, who also helps with a hobby farm. So Why was I not missed when I spent hours locked in the chicken coop?

You must first understand that even if this was a subconscious belief, I behaved as if was the most important member of the family. It took a drastic experience for God to shake me out of my arrogance.
Ten years ago on a very cold winter day, I decided to go with my husband to the barn. I bundled up in Michael’s extra set of warm boots and coat. Since I am a size 2 in women’s clothing and he is an X-Large in men’s sizes, I looked quite comical trudging after him to the barn.
We divided up the chores and rushed to finish them as quickly as possible because the wind was fierce.My last task was to water , feed and gather eggs from our laying hens. Michael passed in the bucket of water that he had hauled for me and then left me so he could complete his own chores in the large attached barn.
A few minutes later, out of sheer habit ,he silently locked the door to the chicken coop and proceeded to plowed through the heavy snow and into our warm house.I was lingering with the chickens, scattering extra corn and grain to help the chickens keep warm. There was no wind in there in the coup but was cold. I attempted to leave but the door was securely bolted from the outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary