Marie-Antoinette's Journey of Faith
I have always felt that Maxime de la Rocheterie's description of Marie-Antoinette is one of the best: She was not a guilty woman, neither was she a saint; she was an upright, charming woman, a little frivolous, somewhat impulsive, but always pure; she was a queen, at times ardent in her fancies for her favourites and thoughtless in her policy, but proud and full of energy; a thorough woman in her winsome ways and tenderness of heart, until she became a martyr. ( The Life of Marie-Antoinette by M. de la Rocheterie, 1893) Marie-Antoinette spent the first fourteen years of her life in Austria, worshiping in Rococo churches and listening to the music of Haydn and the Italian composers. Architecture and music in that time and place celebrated the glory of God in the beauty of His creation. As Queen, her desire to promote beauty around her, especially in the lives of those whom she loved, was an outgrowth of the culture in which she was raised. She loved theater, acting, o...
Thank you for this. God has been poking and prodding me to bring more silence into my life. It just brings so much more calm in my life and I can think of Him more. It is not always easy because family members think that having the TV on all the time is just great and every store you go to, even gas pumps, now have monitors with commercials. It seems you just can't escape it, which I'm sure works with the devil's plan to disturb our peace. I just read Teresa Tomeo's book "God's Bucket List" http://j.mp/TTgblAZ which is about figuring out what are God's plans for you life - which may differ from our plans. The first thing Teresa says is you have to cultivate silence. When I read that in the book I could feel God poking me "I keep telling you to have silence." Then I see it here too! You just can't escape when He has a message for you :)
ReplyDeleteso glad to hear that we are on the same wavelength; makes me realize that God is in charge
DeleteWell, you would think that I would have gotten the message a long time ago. I used to give up listening to the radio for Lent and it made such a difference. Oh well, I'll keep plugging along.
ReplyDelete