For Those Who Live in Town


'Almost all those who have written hitherto about devotion have been concerned with instructing persons wholly withdrawn from the world, or have at least taught a kind of devotion that leads to such complete retirement.

'My purpose is to instruct those who live in town, within families, or at court, and by their state of life are obliged to live an ordinary life as to outward appearances.'

'A strong, resolute soul can live in the world without being affected by any of its moods, find springs of piety amid its salty waves, and fly through the flames of earthly lusts without burning the wings of its holy desires for a devout life.  True, this is a difficult task, and therefore I wish that many souls would strive to accomplish it with greater ardor than has hitherto been shown.'


St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life, Image Books, 1989

Comments

  1. another winner..I posted on Francis de Sales too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed, and I loved it!! He's a perfect saint for bloggers. If he were living in our age, I wonder if he'd be one (I have a suspicion he would). I think we'd all be checking in each day for the latest post on "Dear Philothea."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective