So close...




 Jesus, as I go about my day today,

I will have many opportunities to put

others ahead of myself.

Help me to recognize those times

and to respond as you would have me respond.


My husband was working until around 9:30 p.m. one night last week, and I was eagerly anticipating bedtime. I love being a stay-at-home mom to my six children, ages 7 to 5 months. That is, I love it from around 7:15 (after the first cup of coffee) until around 4 p.m. (I'm not alone in thinking that the late afternoon brings out the worst in just about everyone...me included!).


Luckily, after dinner is served, the mood around the house tends to pick up again until around 7 p.m. But, that time starts an hour of utter chaos! Even I if don't bathe all the children (it is easier to pick a few who aren't too stinky in the winter when they're not running around outside all day!), it is still a huge challenge to get everyone changed into pajamas, teeth brushed, etc. And, I am running very low on compassion, empathy, and patience at this point in the day. After prayers and bathroom stops, they always ask for a book. Depending on how the hour went, I either oblige or tell them "last one to bed is a rotten egg!"



After the last bedroom door was shut that night, I breathed a huge sigh of relief! I then held my breath for a few waiting to see if anyone would call me back in! Phew...not this time! I ran back into my bedroom to pick up my neglected infant (I need two hands for most of the bedtime routine so she has no choice but to sit in the bouncy chair and wait!). This particular night, she had been very good. She is able to touch and hold things now which helps! Still, I was anxious to change her for bed and snuggle with her before (hopefully!) nursing her to sleep. Then I could potentially grab a shower and enjoy a glass of wine in front of the TV!

And then... continue reading>

Comments

  1. Lovely post, a great introduction to you and your family. You bringa new perspective here but we post snippets so that one post does not dominate the site. I edited it so that a reader will go to your site to continue reading. I could not find the post on your blog. If it is an older one, could you please provde the link. If this is new, please post it on your blog first. I have the entire post saved if you wrote here originally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary