Introducing Ann Chapin, Catholic Artist

Catholic Christian art is tough.  Mainly the reason is that there is a fine line to tread between being too 'sweet' and too abstract and cold.  You want the image to have some sublimity, to be accessible to the modern eye, and still evoke a sense of the transcendent.  I'm working at creating images that are useful in prayer, particularly in gazing at the face of Christ.  There is something about looking back at Christ gazing at you that changes us in a way we can't change ourselves, and may not be even able to put into words.  So, I'm trying to create art to open us up to that.

I'm just starting out as a blogger and I confess I have a long way to go before I master this.  Here's a LINK to some I've posted so far...more to come as I continue to figure this out.

The Holy Face Creation of art for prayer and contemplation

I also want to post periodically regarding thoughts on the theology of gazing-prayer, as I call it, and welcome conversation about this topic.

I'm very happy to have found this site and been introduced to it by Melanie!


Comments

  1. Welcome Ann. It's great to have you here. We look forwards to your many visits, posts and comments.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective