Pentecost Icon



Here’s a hanging done a few years ago for Pentecost based upon a Russian Icon. I like this one as it shows Mary in the center – some icons show the disciples around a central figure, who is Cosmos, representing the people of the world that are in sin and darkness. Personally, I feel that Mary would have been there, as the first one the Holy Spirit came upon for the Incarnation of Christ.  I've also heard that when we see the flames on the heads of the disciples, we are to see that as an overflowing from the fire that has been ignited within.   

Comments

  1. That is a lovely icon. I posted a nice image of the Holy Spirit coming down on the apostles with the Blessed Virgin in the center at the bottom of my latest post:
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/2014/06/poetry-pentecost-by-annette-von-droste.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went and looked at that image; it is beautiful and it looks like there are a few women there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary