Joining the Universal Banquet

One of the stained glass windows in my parents' church included a beautifully-done image of Jesus knocking at a door: an illustration of Revelation 3:20. Today, I recognize it as very similar to Warner Sallman's "Christ at Heart’s Door."

Most of that window's glass was replaced during a major building renovation. The new glass was brighter, but I missed the old window: and still do.

It's possible that someone thought the unsubtle colors and simpler shapes would make worship seem more "relevant." "Relevance," real or imagined, was all the rage around that time.

Protestant churches, like the ones my family attended, went through liturgical ricochets in the '60s. Some rewrites of the Apostles and Nicene creeds were — odd. Meanwhile, screwball gimmicks committed 'in the spirit of Vatican II' were upsetting some Catholics.

I get nostalgic now and then: but I don't yearn for the 'good old days.' My memory's too good for that, and that's another topic.

More at A Catholic Citizen in America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective