A Miscarriage: A Soul Acknowledged then Released

I have always considered myself blessed with ten pregnancies which resulted in nine healthy babies and only one miscarriage.
I thought that I knew how to handle a miscarriage, emotionally and spiritually.
I thought I had done everything right by this little one who died before birth.
I was mistaken.
Twenty-five years ago I was in a panic when I discovered that I was pregnant with my seventh.  I had just reconciled with God and embraced this baby when I started to spot. An ultrasound revealed that although I was 12 weeks pregnant, my womb was only at 9 weeks in size and was empty. Apparently the body reabsorbs a fetus in spontaneous, natural ‘abortions’. This news shook me. I felt a sense of betrayal because I had experienced real, spiritual joy when I finally accepted that I was expecting again. My womb was empty, yet  I KNEW, we had created a soul.
I had learned that it is important to name a miscarried baby. During prayer, we sensed that this baby was a girl. I choseRuth because I love that name but my husband had been reluctant to call a living, little girl – Ruth.  We dedicated Ruth to Jesus and commended her soul to God.
I rarely thought of her, with three more births quickly following this miscarriage. continue reading>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective