Writing through the Grace of God

I have been told that I have "a flare for language", a "talent for writing", a "gift for the word."  For many years, family members and friends have at times "commissioned" a piece of writing from me.  In fact, my grandmother has told me that she has in her will that I must compose a poem for her funeral.  I have tried to explain that it doesn't work that way, that I can't just make myself write.  She will hear none of it, she says that she has it in writing and since it is her final wish, I must obey.  (She is a feisty one!)

However, it is true.  There is nothing that I have written that has come solely from me.  When I have attempted to force the gift, it has failed miserably.  That is because the gift, is not my own, but the LORD's.  I am only His instrument.  I never feel this more acutely than when an entire essay, poem, or story comes to me in an instant, like a stiff breeze blowing into my mind, yet I cannot nor will not write it down immediately.  Try as I may, if I seek to recreate that piece of writing later, I may be able to in some sense, but will never achieve the original level of eloquence and undoubtedly some of my favorite key points will be lost.

It is by the Holy Spirit that I write, it is by His intercession and grace that they words flow.  This past week, I began to wonder if my blessing of this blog had run it's course, if God had already decided that my work was done.

Read more at Veils and Vocations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary