Confession: The Uselessness of a Gift Unused

courtesy: pixabay PD
The Sacrament of Reconciliation changed my life forever.   How's that for an opening line!! But it is not just a line, it is the truth ... and it continues to be the truth over 10 years later. 

As I shared yesterday, I have always been a huge Confession Chicken - until that fateful day when Jesus made me laugh - but there was more that happened that day that changed my heart toward this sacrament.  The Holy Spirit drew me to learn more about why Catholics come to a Priest to confess and don't just whisper our sins to God directly.  I started with the Catechism of the Catholic Church but ended with an deep inspiration that could have only been inspired by the Holy Spirit.

First the Catechism lesson  .... did you know that the Sacrament of Reconciliation also known as the Sacrament of Conversion, aka the Sacrament of Penance, and the more probably well known moniker --  Confession  -- is a sacrament of healing?   I had NO idea. NONE.  I am not sure where I was during these lessons in catechism class -- as a girl with un-diagnosed AD/HD -- I was probably either doodling or daydreaming; and if it was taught any time after puberty, I was definitely either staring at or flirting with a boy.

Although I did not know this intellectually, I certainly received the message intuitively.  Shortly after my "called back into confessional" experience - another strange experience brought me to a practice of more frequent participation in the Sacrament.  
All Rights Reserved, Allison Gingras 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective