A Place for Art in Churches

Why do Catholics pray "unto an idol of wood, metal, stone, and the like?"

I'm pretty sure that was what a chap meant by "is this stones and wood true?"
"is this stones and wood true ?

"... #TheTruthCaster: ... praying, gazing unto an idol of wood, metal, stone, and the like."
(Response to a Twitter post)
As a convert to Catholicism, I can see why some non-Catholics sincerely believe that we're idol-worshipers.

We're not idolaters, but I've long since stopped trying to convince zealots that their preferred reality isn't entirely accurate.

On the other hand, those comments started me thinking about Catholic churches and art, and reminded me that I haven't talked about art and idolatry for a while.

More at A Catholic Citizen in America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary