| Healthy Habits Every Girl Should Develop |

Hi there, ya'll! =)
Habits are part of life, both good and bad ones.  All of us struggle with bad habits we have acquired and are trying to break, but we often forget to form good habits to replace them.  I've noticed that when I focus on developing good habits instead of being so fixed on breaking the bad ones, it is much easier and less tiresome to overcome the habits I wish to rid myself of.  It takes approximately twenty one days to make something habitual to you, and there's no time like the present to begin.

1. Early To Bed, Early To Rise




Going to bed early, getting a good nights rest, and waking early are absolutely necessary to our health.  My generation seems to be able to survive on late nights and three hours of sleep, but it's really very unhealthy and will cause many problems for us in the future, as well as make us look (and feel) like zombies right now.  I have chronic insomnia, so I can say from firsthand experience that falling asleep by nine and waking with the sun is a blessing few people appreciate fully.  On the rare occasions that I do get a good nights sleep and awake early, my whole body feels amazing and refreshed! I can accomplish so much more in my day and when I collapse into bed at night, I truly relish the tired-worked-so-hard feeling I have before I fall into a blissful sleep.

2. Eat Clean




If you want energy, clear skin, a healthy body, and to avoid doctor's offices, you must eat a healthy diet, composed of a balanced amount of fruits, vegetables, good fats, and grass fed meats.  I personally follow the Paleo diet and it has worked wonders for my health, but every person is different and requires a different amount and kind of food, so it's best to figure out what is best for your own body.   It doesn't matter how much you exercise or what pills you take, so long as your diet is unhealthy, you will be unhealthy.  You may not even feel the effects now, but ten years from now you will regret your poor eating habits, I promise you.  Our bodies are gifts from God, and it is our responsibility to care for and nurture them to the best of our ability.  Health, intelligence, and virtue are the most beautiful qualities a woman can possess.

3. Exercise Regularly



Many girls cringe when they hear the word "exercise".  They picture the scantily clad, sweaty, body-builder women on the cover of fitness magazines who talk about their strict, three hour workout routine that they follow every day.  In reality, exercise can be just about anything that gets your heart racing and your face glistening! Running, jump-roping, sports, bouncing on a trampoline, jumping jacks, even just going for a brisk walk, all qualify under the "exercise" category and will do wonders for your health.  If you prefer a more regular exercise routine, you can find plenty of free videos on YouTube (you can find some of my favorites here), but really the most important thing is that you are moving and having fun.  On another note, just because you are exercising does not mean you have to sacrifice your modesty or femininity; there are many companies that make modest, feminine, and even stylish work-out clothing, such as Snoga Athletics and ModLi.  And of course, a pretty water bottle is a must. ;)

4. Drink Plenty Of Water



It's nearly impossible to get two health experts to agree on practically anything, but one thing they all DO agree on is drinking water.  It's very important to keep our bodies hydrated and to flush toxins out of our system if we want to have healthy bodies and radiant skin! A good rule to go by is to try to drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day, and to try to drink a full glass upon waking each morning.  I like to add lemon juice, stevia, and ice to mine for a little extra cleansing, as well as to make it more tasty.

4. Wash Your Face




Until a couple of years ago, I would regularly go to sleep without washing my face, and with a full face of makeup on.  BIG, BIG MISTAKE, YA'LL.  My poor skin suffered so much from those years, and I cringe to think back on them.  Now I make it a priority to cleanse my face every morning and night, no matter how tired or how big of a rush I am in, and my skin is so much happier as a result! Plus, it just feels so much better to go to sleep with a rosy, clean face! Clean skin will be much less prone to breakouts and blackheads and your makeup will go on much more smoothly without dirt, oil, and dead skin in the way (yuck!).  I am currently using these Jess Organics products for my skincare routine, and my skin feels so soft now! If you don't want to spend a lot of money on skincare products, water, a gentle soap, Witch Hazel, and coconut oil are also great options for your routine.

5. Read Good Books



Theodore Roosevelt said "I am a part of everything I have read." and it is so true.  Our minds absorb everything we put into them, from our very earliest age, and it's important that we fill them with good wholesome, knowledge, not frivolous trash.  What we read shapes how we think and even act.  Not only is reading instructive, it is also a wonderful escape when reality gets to be too much for us to handle! As a child, I spent most of my days reading and most of my friends were characters in my favorite books.  I'll never forget the first time I read "A Little Princess" by Francis Hodgson Burnett when I was seven, and was so astonished to learn about Sara Crewe, who more like myself than anyone else I had ever met! Thanks to the large selection of good, wholesome books my family owned, I was never short of reading material growing up.  As an adult I still continue to read as often as I can because I believe we can never expand our minds enough.  By reading books filled with wisdom and helpful knowledge, we are being good stewards of the minds God has given us, as well as growing in intelligence.

6. Never Go To Sleep Angry



The Bible tells us to "let not the sun go down upon your anger" (Ephesians 4:26).  If you were in an argument or fight with someone during your day, make up before you go to sleep that night.  Even if they don't want to reconcile yet, your conscience will be clear of any anger or bitterness and you can sleep peacefully knowing you have done the charitable thing.  If you have any grievance against your neighbor, you are obligated as a Christian to settle it in charity and forgive each other.  Not only will it give you a clear conscience, you will sleep more peacefully knowing that Our Lord will forgive you your trespasses as you have forgiven your neighbor's.

7. Think Happy Thoughts




  Our thoughts shape our mood.  If we focus on the "what ifs" and have a negative, pessimistic outlook on life, our mood will reflect this and we will be unhappy.  On the other hand, if we always try to look on the bright side, and give all our worries to God, we will feel happier and more at peace.  I'm a chronic over thinker, and worry about EVERYTHING, sometimes until I make myself actually sick, so this is a hard one for me.  When I do make an effort to be more optimistic, I find that life's challenges are easier to meet and conquer.  We have all the saints and angels in Heaven on our side, as well as Our Heavenly Mother, there is nothing in this world that should make us afraid or anxious! The saints were not unhappy people; if you read their writings, you can just feel their joy bubbling through the pages.  If we hope to be saints (as we all should), we must learn to do away with our worry and unhappiness, and strive to have a joyful, trusting spirit.

8. Pray



This is the most important of all the habits I have listed.  To live a happy, fruitful, Godly life, you must have a strong relationship with Our Lord and the Saints.  Before getting out of bed every morning, make it a habit to say a little prayer thanking God and the angels for watching over you, and offer this new day to Our Lady so she will be sure to help you live it as if it were your last day on this earth.  Throughout your day, offer up little prayers of thanksgiving, and ask for strength to meet any and all trials that come your way.  By doing this, you keep your focus on Heaven, instead of on more worldly desires, and fill your mind with heavenly things, instead of worry and stress.

What healthy habits would you add to this list?

How many of these habits do you practice?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary