What a Problem!


I don’t consider myself a complainer, really, but the other day as I was packing my suitcase and I decided to take some of my teabags with me.  It was a new box of tea I hadn’t bought before and when I opened it, I realized that the individual bags were not sealed in a little sleeve like the other brand was.

So I fretted a little bit as I put them in a plastic zip bag, knowing that the teabags were probably going to make a bit of a mess.

I expressed my frustration to our oldest daughter who was standing nearby as I was doing all of this, and she said something that stopped me in my tracks.

She gently pointed out, “That’s a first world problem, Mom.”

Oh how right she was!  I was so glad she said it, because the truth of it snapped me back to reality. 

Lately I have been reading some books that have increased my awareness of global concerns.  People who have been suffering as a result of being attacked by their dangerous governments, people whose lives have been disrupted, if not completely wiped out.

My little teabag “problem” is so disproportionate to the real life situations of people throughout the world.  Admittedly, I have been one of those who struggle with foreign names and far-off countries, and even remembering the details of situations.  History and socio economic problems have not been one of my strong points.

But lately, I have been trying to change that.  I am trying to pay attention to what is happening around the world.  I am trying to notice the plight of so many of our brothers and sisters.  I am trying to learn.

Maybe, historically, this wasn’t a great interest of mine, but that doesn’t mean it has to remain so today.  The more I learn, the more I can see that we have a responsibility to look beyond our borders.  One of the books I read covered a lot about the United Nations and their role as peacekeepers.

When should action be taken, when should we be hands-off?

What has amazed me is the idea of us working together with so many other nations—even those with whom we have serious disagreement—to try to find solutions to existing problems.  The need, it seems, is endless.

The other thing that has impressed me is how very many people we have working in our foreign service that are dedicated to “the cause,” whatever that happens to be at the moment.  Difficult decisions are being made all the time that have a great impact on the fate of so many people.

I would encourage you today to think about the one thing that you have not paid much attention to that is important.  Take up my challenge to try to expand your base knowledge to some degree, so that maybe you, too, will have your eyes opened to what is happening outside your little world.

If you do, maybe you will find that many of the things you fuss over truly are “first world problems.”

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective