Is 2020 Cursed?


Anyone else feel like 2020 is cursed?

Oh, I’m just kidding, sort of.

It’s just that I was determined to make 2020 a great year beginning with the very first day, except I started out with a terrible cold as we rolled over into January.

Okay, so fine, what’s a little cold you ask?  Well, it turned into something else and didn’t last just a week, but more like six!

Honestly, it has been one thing after another since January, so I for one cannot be happier that our temperatures are nearing 50 degrees on occasion.  I am more than ready to see a little more sun and a few warmer days!  Things are sure to start turning around soon!

It always seems like the sun makes us feel better, doesn’t it?  We have a little lighter lift in our walk, more energy and motivation.  The sun really does seem to chase away those lingering dark days of winter.

While thinking about the sun, I re-read the beginning of Chapter 1 of the first book of the bible, Genesis.  I noted that “light” was created on Day 1 and the sun on Day 4, so I wondered, “Aren’t light and sun the same thing?”

You may be familiar with “let there be light,” which is often quoted from verse 3, but if you read on to verse 14 the bible says:

“Then God said: ‘Let there be lights in the dome of the sky, to separate day from night.  Let them mark the fixed times, the days and the years, and serve as luminaries in the dome of the sky, to shed light upon the earth.’  And so it happened: God made the two great lights, the greater one to govern the day, and the lesser one to govern the night.”

It continues on with the stars and so forth, but it is the light/sun dilemma that caught my attention.

As I began to dig further for an answer to my question about when the sun was actually formed, and what the reference to light was about, I realized that I could spend an infinite amount of time and posts on this question.  Here are a couple of things that I think are notable, that help a little.  They come from a Catholic Forums’ website.

The first comment is this:

“The truth about creation is not found in the order of what happens first and last, but in the lesson about people being made in God’s image and thus being subject to God’s laws.”

I agree with this, however I don’t think we should imagine that order isn’t an important part of creation.  We can see orderliness in God’s creation all around us today.  In fact, it helps us to recognize God’s hand in the beauty of this world.  Of course, God’s time is not the same as ours.

Moving from order, though, one of the important messages in Genesis 1 is that it is God who created.  Once there was nothing, and out of that nothing, God created.

While the bible is not a science or history book in the empirical sense like we refer to science and history books today, it is God’s inspired Word, which brings me to the second point offered on the same website:

“The Catholic Church teaches that the first chapter of Genesis, specifically the first verses speaking about “light,” are symbolic of Jesus coming into the world as our Savior. One of the first and foremost examples of this is the prologue to John’s gospel at John 1:1-5, where it is clear that John was playing off the language of Genesis 1 in calling Jesus ‘the light’ that ‘was in the beginning with God.’”

It is true that in several places, the Old Testament does prefigure the New Testament as we can see in the aforementioned example.  I should point out that the many examples of prefigurement in the bible are not simply speculation from 20/20 hindsight.  They are discovered in the bible, not impressed upon it, for they do, in reality, exist.

I guess my point to all of this, (I must apologize for taking the long way around to my point) is to stress that when we have God in our life, it is analogous to movement out of those cold, dark, wintry, January days into a great spring where light is abundant and the warm embrace of God is a welcome change.

I would say that, like in the Book of Genesis, we should be careful not to let the details trip us up, for while they are noteworthy, the greater, underlying message is what we should focus on:  God created us in his image; he loves us; and he continues to be with us today.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective