A little self-indulgence on my pandemic birthday


Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
by George Frideric Handel, conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner

Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba is a favourite of mine, one of the most exuberant pieces of music I know. Here it is conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner who, as it happens, is a 'twin' of mine. We both turned 77 today, having been born on Tuesday of Holy Week, 20 April 1943, when Easter fell on the latest day possible, 25 April. It had not fallen on that date since 1886, has not since and will occur again in 2038. After that not till 2190. It happens only once in a century.

Handel, who was German, lived in England for many years but has a significant connection with my native city, Dublin, since his Messiah  was first performed there, on 13 April 1742.

There were no fireworks in Dublin on the day I was born. But below is Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, conducted by Sir John.


Please remember in your prayers my parents John and Mary (née Collins) without whose love I would not be posting this. My mother's 50th death anniversary occurs on 29 April and my father's 33rd on 11 August. They both stimulated my interest in music. Solas na bhFlaitheas orthu - The Light of Heaven upon them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective