Be-U-Tee-Full


After a nice walk with my husband while the sun was shining, the roast went in the oven (courtesy of my husband) and I sat down to find a movie.  The television was already set on the sports channel (thanks to our sports-minded son) so before I flipped to a movie, I was intrigued by what was being broadcast on his station—the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

It was gripping.

I know you might not think so, but it really was thrilling.  I was particularly excited because the winner was a 13 year old girl—the first homeschooler to win the competition!

As a former homeschooler, it made me so proud. 

Many, many years ago our oldest daughter entered the spelling bee.  Let me tell you, it starts small with the neighborhood school in a little gym, but it is no less exciting.

Our daughter went on to the next level, which may have been local to our district (I really don’t remember it was so long ago.)  She lost at that level, but the excitement of sitting there watching her spell was unbelievable.

It’s so odd how some of the words these kids are given I have never even heard of, while others I could easily spell.  The hours these kids must spend studying their lists; they are surely widely-read, because that is the best way to be exposed to such a variety of words.

It is fun to watch their faces light up when they are given a word they know how to spell. I don’t know how they can even remember their own name after spelling for about 7 hours straight!

Watching their mastery of language and roots is impressive.  Many of the words they were given had Greek or Latin roots.  I remember working with our oldest daughter on word roots as she was preparing for her SAT.  Understanding the root of a word really helps one’s ability to figure out how to spell it and its meaning.

People who talk in faith circles sometimes forget that “religious speak” can be as foreign as Latin to the secular world.

But one thing many of us recognize, that is familiar to people throughout the world, regardless of their religious affiliation or language, is the cross.

Today, as we celebrate Easter, we put Good Friday behind us for the moment and celebrate the joy of the Resurrection.  Walking through a week that was heavily laden with deceit, suffering and death, we are now finally able to fully appreciate an empty tomb, knowing that Jesus has led the way for our salvation.  It is a good day.

May God bless you as we begin this joyous Easter Season, and may he lighten what burdens you and bring you Easter joy.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net
*I was actually watching the 1997 spelling bee being re-broadcast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective