The Best Roadmap Ever

For quite awhile I could not for the life of me figure out why the maps app on my phone would show me a route but not say it out loud.  It is a little frustrating when you have to keep an eye on the app rather than just hear it say “In half a mile turn right,” but all in all I suppose that’s still better than having a big map unfolded on your lap like we used to do.

One day, quite accidentally, I realized that my app problem was caused by the Bluetooth icon.  When it is turned on, my maps route becomes silent.

Anyway, as we make our way through the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is laying down a roadmap of sorts for those who are paying attention. This gospel is packed with great advice for those who are striving for holiness. We should definitely be paying careful attention.

It teaches us not to judge others and assures us that God hears and answers our prayers.  We are encouraged to “Enter through the narrow gate” which leads to life and beware of the wide gate and the broad road which leads to destruction.

Jesus tells us that few people will make it through the narrow gate but many of us are headed down that road to destruction.

Yikes! Chilling words to say the least.

But today, I want to take just a minute on The Golden Rule.  In Chapter 7, verse 12, Jesus tells us “Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.”

As I was praying about this, I was reminded how freeing it is to put this into practice. This statement is really outwardly-focused.

For instance, ask yourself, “Do I look for opportunities to be helpful?”

Do I have a servant’s heart?

Am I concerned about speaking the truth so that others are not deceived by false prophets?

Am I willing to sacrifice for my brothers and sisters?

We do not have to do an Internet search for the best response to these questions.  We have a great book that will send us down the right path, if we are willing to follow it.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective