Who's with Me?


For awhile now my brothers have been teasing me about writing in my name in the upcoming presidential election.  One even came up with a wonderful slogan:

“For a vote that can’t miss, vote for my sis!”

I like it.  I’m ready.

But like I told my brothers, I will need to get a haircut first. 

And, I suppose, some cash, backers, a comprehensive platform and all that other stuff.  Then there’s the need to convince YOU to write in my name as well!

Who’s in?

I’m already making promises.  My one brother is going to be Secretary of Camping; the other my co-campaign manager (I think I promised this position to our oldest daughter as well, which explains the “co,” but who remembers promises?)  My third brother seems to be waffling in his support for me.  I’ll have to work on him a bit. 

If he joins me, I initially thought his working title would be Secretary of Literature (non-fiction) but since he wants to write a tell-all book about my childhood, identifying me as a wild child, I may have to put him in charge of fiction.

Speaking of fiction, how many of us, when we take a close, personal look at ourselves, can honestly say that our self-examination of faults is not tinged with fantasy or self-righteousness?

In today’s Gospel (Matthew, Chapter 7) Jesus warns us that before we start pointing out the problem of others, we better take a close, hard look at ourselves.

He uses the image of a “splinter,” saying we better pay attention to the “wooden beam” in our own eye before judging the “splinter” in the eye of our brother.

When was the last time you took a minute and did an honest self-examination of your faults?  It is amazing what a difference this can make in recognizing your tilting halo!

In the quiet, take a second today and ask God to show you where you have been prideful or lazy or self-centered.  Where you have put yourself above others or put others down.  Be honest and consider if you have put your political opinion above loving and respecting others who disagree.

In humility and prayer, see if you have become more angry or vocal, allowing the current political climate to affect your spirit or diminish your trust in God.

And finally, ask God to help you to do better.  And don’t forget to express gratitude for the times his grace helped you to do good, forgive or be caring.

When I become your next president, my platform would involve turning the other cheek, loving your enemies and not judging.

Optimistically, I have to believe there are some people still willing to buy into this non-fiction today.

Who’s with me?

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective