I Would NEVER!

Listen to this.  I came across it the other day during the daily readings.

“Woe to those who plan iniquity, and work out evil on their couches; In the morning light they accomplish it when it lies within their power.” (Micah 2:1-2)

Have you ever known someone like this?  I feel bad for you if you have, but the truth is, I think this happens more than we think, and on occasion, we may even be guilty of it ourselves.

Let’s start with iniquity.  What is it?  The dictionary describes it as “immoral or grossly unfair behavior.”

Altogether, this passage suggests one who plans iniquity, working it out in secret at home, and carrying it out when you get the chance.  This is really an ugly thing to do.

I think most of us would spontaneously say, “I would never do such a thing!”

But wait, let’s be sure.

Have you ever thought in advance what you might say or do in order to get back at someone who has been mean to you?

After being treated unfairly, have you ever gossiped about someone, thus harming their reputation, as you reasoned, “People should know what they are really like?”

Or perhaps you were deeply humiliated by someone, in front of other people.  

Did you try to figure out how to return the humiliation by embarrassing the person who caused it?

Have you ever cheated someone out of money because you thought “They deserve it?”

Quite simply, have you ever plotted to get even with someone who has caused you harm?

Oops. 

Maybe we do “work out evil on our couches” without even realizing it!  We must remember that God sees us – “Where can I hide from your spirit?  From your presence, where can I flee?”  (Ps 139: 7)

Whenever we sin, it is so easy for us to excuse ourselves and rationalize our behavior, but that is very dangerous.  Here’s more from Psalm 139:

“Lord, you have probed me, you know me:  you know when I sit and stand; you understand my thoughts from afar.” (Ps 139: 1-2)

“Probe me, God, know my heart; try me, know my concern.  See if my way is crooked, then lead me in the ancient paths.” (23-24)

We can turn those final verses of the Psalm into a prayer, asking God to show us when we do wrong.  By his grace we can turn from going down the wrong path and begin walking toward righteousness.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective