Are you inspired by my peroration?

 


Are you a word person?  Do you love learning new words and their definitions?

I sure do.

Recently, I came across the word peroration in a footnote for a passage I was reading in 1 Corinthians (4:6-21) in the New Testament in the bible.

Here’s the definition, and in case you are wondering, it’s a noun:

“The concluding part of a speech, typically intended to inspire enthusiasm in the audience.”

Paul was using an “emotionally charged peroration” to address the problem of divisions within the community (more about that later.)

I never realized there was a name for a speech’s concluding crescendo that was designed to get us all fired up. I’ll bet all of the great speakers use a peroration to light up their audience.  I would do that, too, except I will never be able to remember the word.

It’s true. That’s my only problem.  Well, maybe not my only problem, but definitely a frustrating one.

How am I supposed to remember the great words I learn and use them when it is appropriate if my brain hesitates to recall them on demand?

In Chapter 3 of 1 Corinthians, Paul is warning his “audience” to not get caught up in favoring him over Apollos, or Apollos over Kephas, and so on.  That’s why he needed to work up to his peroration. 

He reminds us that while he plants and Apollos waters, it is God that causes the growth.  This is a message we need to hear even today.  Too often religious people get behind the speakers who have moved them and they lose sight of who they really need to be paying attention to (Jesus).

Paul puts it this way:

“What is Apollos, after all, and what is Paul?  Ministers through whom you became believers, just as the Lord assigned each one . . . no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ.”

So, if you have followed me through this post today, just to be certain that you don’t miss it, let me point out that I am concluding with a peroration.

For mine, I’ll borrow from Paul, verse 18:

“Let no one deceive himself.  If anyone among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise.  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God . . .”

 

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective