Telling God What to Do

 


 

As soon as the words left my lips, I knew the error I had made.  In a heartfelt prayer of reflection, I told God, “Let me love you and serve you in the way I desire.”

Ugh. It would almost be funny, if it wasn’t so stupid.

Will I ever get this right?

Immediately I changed the prayer to reflect the humility it should have held in the first place, “Let me love you and serve you in the way you desire.”

How often do we find ourselves trying to be in the control seat, trying to lead God toward our ways? I have come to see very clearly that God’s ways are always best, without question, always better than mine! 

At times I may have thought I really wanted to do this, or that, and it didn’t happen, and then, only years later, (I’m a slow learner) did I realize how terrible it probably would have been!  Good thing God doesn't always do what I ask!

Wherever you find yourself today, listen carefully to God and trust that he knows what is best for you, because his way really, truly, is the only way to go.  You will be happiest if you love and serve God in the way he has called you to do.

Hopefully, being aware of the pitfalls in prayer, you will find yourself coming to God in humility, rather than as I did, in pride.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective