TVs, Microwaves & Dishwashers

 

I got a good laugh out of this picture on a Facebook post and then my husband and I debated about whether that was a reality from the 70's or more like the 60's.  Regardless, I am sure some of you will appreciate the humor.  I can still hear the clicking as the channel dial was stiffly turned.

It really is amazing how things change right under our noses and sometimes we don't even realize it.  I remember our first microwave.  They advertised it as a quick way to make dinner, but I wasn't having anything to do with that idea.  I did find them more handy than warming up baby bottles on the stove, but I suppose using a microwave for that is a real no-no today, what with all the plastic in them.  Now it is a kitchen staple.

Anyway, if I were to change the above picture, mine might have a couple of kids standing in front of a sink with a few dishes, one on a stool, the other crowded in next, both learning how to wash and dry, with a caption that reads, "Photo of early dishwashers."  Good thing we taught them well since we still do not have a dishwasher and they always step up to help after our family dinners; they learned it well!

I have always been grateful that I was able to stay home with our kids back then.  I know that it was due in large part to decisions we made.  We drove cars until the the repairs outweighed the benefit.  I didn't spend my days shopping at the mall.  We actually bought big jars of applesauce because we could save money (they were cheaper than the individual cups.)  

I also, truly, understand that many women would go crazy if they stayed home with their kids, and I would never discount the family needs satisfied by an extra income.  For some people having only one income simply would not keep the family afloat.  Occasionally I worked on an as-needed basis in local law offices to keep my skills up, and I always enjoyed that.

I recognized early on that being a stay-at-home mom had more to do with forming children than it did with teaching them chores or keeping them safe (although those are essential.)  While they did learn some chores, I always felt the forming of their character was the most important thing I/we could do.

Those were the days when it was assumed that a young sibling was capable of "watching" the little ones until the parent came home.  And it is true that a sibling could keep their brother or sister safe, but could they form them well?  Did they have the maturity to do that?  Some yes, but, depending on their age, too often no.

I'm just saying what worked for us and why it was important to us.  I'm not saying that it would work for everyone, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to have been able to do it.

Here's what Pope St. John Paul II had to say about gratitude:

"Remember the past with gratitude.  Live the present with enthusiasm.  Look forward to the future with confidence."  "Novo Millennio Ineunte, 1" (cf Hebrew 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.")

Whatever your past looks like, find the things that make you grateful, and enjoy them.  Never beat yourself up over what might have been.  There's no going back and changing that.  And then following Pope St. John, find enthusiasm in your day and be confident about the future.  

The future is bright when you are confident in God.  If he is missing from your life, change that, for you will never regret doing so.  In fact, learning more about God and getting to know Jesus will leave you full of gratitude.  

Guaranteed.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

#johnpaulii
#stayathomemoms

 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective