How long will it take?

I was sitting in an after hours clinic waiting for our son to be seen and a video came on.  It was a soft voice calling us to relax and breathe deeply.  Another video--probably a video advertising mental health services--asked if we were frustrated or irritated.

Are you kidding me?  

The lady at the desk told me it would be about half an hour before we would be called back.  We finally headed home 2 1/2 hours later!  It took 1 1/2 hours before we were even called into The Room.

Frustrated?  Do you even have to ask? No wonder they were running a breathe-deeply-and-relax video.  Is this what most of their patients had to endure in wait times?

After some inquiry, I learned that they had only one Physician's Assistant and one Medical Assistant on that day.  I was given the encouraging word that the longest part of our wait was over because once we were in The Room, it would go quickly; it did, pretty much.

Both the PA and the MA were kind, apologetic and as efficient as they could be.  I left thanking God that I did not go into medicine.  A job like that would have just killed me.  But they were good at it and remarkably patient with their own frustrations.

I also left happy that our adult son was being seen, and I wasn't one of the young parents with little kids trying to endure such a grueling wait.  I really felt sorry for them.  It's just the worst, having a prolonged wait with sick kids.

 I also left with a number where I could lodge a complaint about understaffing and so forth.  I doubted it would do any good, but I figured I might as well try.  I felt sorry for them and their patients.

Apparently patience, which is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, was working for me that day, because I didn't need their calming videos.  Our son and I just sat quietly, half sleeping, waiting to be called in, but I will admit, when it was our turn to leave that place, I was more than ready!

I love the Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit.  They are perfect for our life.  When we are baptized, we receive them.  There are seven gifts and twelve fruits.  The fruits are what is produced in us, as a result of the Gifts.

Here is a very readable article that explains the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit.  I hope you will take a minute to look at it.  This powerhouse of grace that we receive is something each of us should strive to better understand, and draw from as needed.

I also highly encourage anyone reading this, who has put off baptism for yourself or your children, to delay no longer.  You cannot believe the importance of baptism.  It is not just a nice box to check off.  You are doing your children no favors by withholding baptism!

Please call your local, friendly church today!

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
(Like me on Facebook)

(P.S.  I have fixed this Facebook link)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective