Pope Francis, Politics and Being Catholic: Briefly

March 15, 1915: Billy Sunday giving another rip-roaring performance.
Billy Sunday giving another rip-roaring performance. (1915)

Pope Francis criticized (some) Catholics in my country.

If I had any sense, and was trying to make A Catholic Citizen in America famous, influential, profitable or some combination of those qualities, I’d have long since picked an earnestly wacky political fringe position.

And, having picked my target demographic, I would now churn out a rant denouncing the pope for not being sufficiently American; for not supporting the civil rights of wombats — or whatever the Great Cause of the Month was.

I don’t, happily, have that sort of “sense”. But I do think this deserves a brief response....

More at A Catholic Citizen in America.

(Pope Francis has criticized some American Catholics. I think he has a point. I talk, briefly, about that, and show an excerpt from a Reuters article.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective