Christmas Cash Available!

 


I drove past a local bank with a sign out front: "Christmas Cash Loans Available."

"Don't do it!" I wanted to yell.

If you have to take out a loan to buy gifts for Christmas, you are better off getting creative with non-costly gifts than to put yourself and your family in debt.

Years ago my husband and I made a deal that we would give each other gifts that we didn't buy. I don't remember what we came up with that year, but we both stayed true to our deal. It required a little more thought and time, but proved to be a wonderful exchange on Christmas morning.

You can make personal gifts, like a book which might include free foot rubs, a gift allowing one's personal preference to prevail for dinner, or you might commit to doing a chore for them around the house. These kinds of gifts, which can last for more than one exchange, offer a more meaningful way to express your love, not to mention they are greatly appreciated.

Over the years, we always tried to teach our kids to pay attention to the needs of others, especially their brother/sisters when it came to giving them a gift. Paying attention throughout the year might require making little reminder notes, but it countered the idea of just making lists for people at Christmas.

I am guilty now, sometimes, of needing lists because when young adults move out on their own, it is harder to keep track of what they might need or want.

But I still stand by my belief that if you are paying close attention, this can serve you well. I know it works, because our kids always manage to be spot on when it comes to picking out things for us (even though we tell them not to!)

I mention these things now in the hope that you will think about creating new traditions in your family that are not centered on spending, spending, spending, so you don't take on loans for "Available Christmas Cash!"

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
Follow me on Facebook:   

*Don't forget to check out my conversation with the Managing Editor of the Catholic Worker that is on my YouTube Channel now:  https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective