Share This!

 

 

 

I came across this quote by the poet Robert Browning, which I had to stop and think about:

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

I've never been much for reading poetry, I guess it is too far above me, but when I read the first part of this quote, I thought it was interesting.

Reaching beyond our grasp.  If I am going to reach beyond what I am already holding onto, I have to let go of what I'm clasping.

You could apply this in a lot of ways, I suppose, but, being religiously-minded, here's what I thought . . .

Instead of your hand, let's say you are grasping onto a thought.  You don't believe in God, or you are against organized religion, or whatever. 

What if you were to work on releasing this thought and entertain the possibility that there is something beyond what you are clinging to, that maybe, just maybe, there is a truth that you missed? 

Check out this website for a list of "Seven Myths about Catholicism." 

Have you ever believed them yourself?

Of course, Catholicism isn't the only religious group that people believe untruths about. Spreading gossip or lies about anyone, or group, just promotes hatred and racism.  If you hear something, verify it with someone who really knows.

But I digress.  Naturally, it is hard to let go of long-held beliefs, especially if they come from a place of hurt or disappointment. 

If you have been hurt by someone in church, disappointed by God, or are carrying a dislike for organized religion altogether, it might be good to allow yourself to consider a new perspective, one which may bring you peace.

Allow yourself to discover what is beyond whatever it is that you have been grasping onto so tightly.  You may just find there is more within your reach than you ever imagined.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective