Where is my cure, God?

 

 


I was praying with the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 17, verses 17-20 about the man that knelt down in front of Jesus, begging him to cure his son.

And Jesus cured him. 

This left me asking why God doesn't cure every sickness. If he has the ability to fix things, why do we have to suffer so? Why do we have to endure grief and loss?

None of the reasons I could find seemed sufficient to me. I mean, I don't believe God causes our physical bodies to develop sickness. And I don't think he withholds healing to strengthen our faith because it would be good for us. 

What kind of a father would he be if he sat back and allowed his children to suffer so that he could teach them a lesson? 

Although, I suppose there are times, as a parent, that we have done some version of this, in little ways, so that our children will grow and learn through their mistakes, but that is not the same thing.

So, back to the question. If God has the ability to fix things, why do we have to suffer? Why do some people get a cure and others do not?

The only thing that does help me when I struggle with this question is knowing that we can have only one response to our human struggles, and that one response pleases and glorifies God . . .

We must continue to have faith that he is walking with us through it. God does not leave our side. He provides strength and comfort, if not always healing.

The truth is, I don't know why some people get cured while others do not, but to continue to believe that God is with us in all circumstances, even those we do not understand, is the one thing we can control.

I really don't think our loving Father's plan is the suffering itself. If we look to the cross and the suffering of his son, Jesus, we know that it was the outcome of his suffering that brought new life to all.

Our human suffering can be seen as a pathway to renewed life, and this brings about a very real experience of hope.

Should we believe in miracles? Absolutely, even today.

If you are struggling, here is a link to an online healing retreat I came across.  They do give you an opportunity to donate--or to skip paying altogether.

I have never taken it, so I can't make a personal recommendation, but it looks good. I hope you will check it out.

Here's the link:

https://praymoreretreat.org/2026-healing-retreat/ 

Pray for peace, joy, and an end to war.

Janet Cassidy
Email me at:  jmctm2@gmail.com

janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

SAINT ELIZABETH, MOTHER OF JOHN THE BAPTIST- Feast: November 5